As most of you might already know gazpacho is a very popular cold soup in Spain and now also worldwide. This is a very typical Andalusian dish which is also very low in calories and great to have in summer as it is very refreshing and very nutritive at the same time.
Although this is the cold soup par excelence it is not the only one. There are many other healthy and tasty ones and a good example of this is ajoblanco.
Ajoblanco is also a very popular dish of the Andalusian cuisine, especially in the region of Malaga. It is prepared with very simple ingredients like bread, ground almonds, garlic, water, olive oil, salt and vinegar and it tends to get served with some grapes or with some small chunks of melon.
It might sound like quite a peculiar combination but all these ingredients work perfectly well together so the final result, like in the case of gazpacho, is an amazing dish.
Here we leave you a very simple recipe in case you feel like preparing it at home:
Ingredients ( Serves 4 )
– 100 grams of almonds
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1 litre of water
– 200 grams of the inside part of bread, the crumb
– 1 glass of extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tbsp of vinegar
– A pinch of salt
To go with it:
– Grapes or melon
1. If the bread is a bit hard moist it with water until it gets soft.
2. Dip the almonds in boiling water so this way you will be able to peel them better once they have cooled down.
3. We smash the almonds and the garlic with a mortar and we add a pinch of salt while we do it.
4. Then add the moist bread to it and create a mush by adding the olive oil little by little.
5. Add the vinegar and put everything in another container with the water.
6. Blend until you get a uniform liquid.
7. Let it rest in the fridge.
8. When it is cold, serve it in bowls and put some grapes or small chunks of melon in it.
This dish is in fact very important in Almachar, a beautiful town in La Axarquía where every year on the first Saturday of September a traditional festival in honour of this dish is celebrated. The event is called “Fiesta del Ajoblanco” and its aim is to keep this traditional dish alive and to promote it.
This Saturday in fact will be when this festival will be on, so if you are currently on holiday at Hotel Angela, your hotel in Fuengirola, and you fancy discovering a new and beautiful place on Costa del Sol and trying a new and delicious dish…Why don’t you visit Almachar?